Halloween Holiday Safety Tips

Halloween Holiday Safety Tips

Make sure all pets are inside during the night the kids are trick’r-treating, especially black pets, to avoid the heartbreak of hideous “pranks.” In fact, during the entire month of October, all black pets should be kept indoors unless you are supervising their outdoor activities with them on a leash.

On the night of Halloween, place your pets in a secluded room away from the noise and activity of the trick’r-treaters. As you are greeting your guests, the animal could become frightened and make a rush for the door as you are handing out treats.

Chocolate can be very dangerous for dogs and cats. Tin foil and other candy wrappers can also be hazardous if swallowed. If you suspect your pet has ingested a potentially dangerous substance, please call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435.

Supervise all candles – pets are attracted to the bright “lights” in a darkened room. Not only could they receive serious burns, but they could knock the candles over, spilling hot wax onto furniture and carpeting. Don’t leave candles unattended for their sake and for the obvious fire hazards.

All other decorations should be carefully placed so that the pets can’t pull or scratch off any small pieces to swallow.

Cover or tack down electrical cords and unplug everything when you’re not at home to supervise.